Women in the Entertainment Industry: Amelia Rogocka
We are asking women in the entertainment industry around the world some key questions about their life and career. Here is Amelia Rogocka based in Las Vegas, United States of America, but she is a British citizen.
1. In which part of the industry do you work?
I work in stage management.
2. Have you drawn professional inspiration from other women in the entertainment industry? How have they inspired you?
Honestly, every time I see a woman in my industry absolutely owning her role, I have a sense of pride. I enjoy taking the moment to experience that pride for myself and then I get to work making sure other women in the industry feel that pride when they see me working.
3. What would you tell young women who are just starting out? What would you like them to know?
You belong here. It won’t feel that way every day and even the people who want to make you feel welcome, will sometimes fail at that. So don’t rely on others to tell you you belong, own your place. Head up, warrior.
4. What is the best piece of career advice you have ever received?
“Have you ever tried stage management?” I thought for the longest time that I wanted to be an actor. While I was acting in an outdoor drama, the director asked if I had ever stage managed, and that was that. I never looked back.
5. Please share one of your toughest challenges in your career. How did you overcome?
As a person who seeks out the challenges in theatre, I often find myself in situations where I know a lot less than I probably should. You can’t let that stop you though! Don’t forget that ALL stage managing follows the basic principles of stage management, the specifics of each branch of stage management entertainment can be taught! Don’t stop learning, don’t stop putting yourself in situations where you know everything. Life is a lot less exciting when you know it all.
6. What is your favorite musical or play?
7. What is your morning routine?
The morning is my favourite. I love opening my eyes and seeing the sun. It’s why I don’t own curtains. I spend time loving on my two cats, Harvey and Dudley. Followed by a cup of coffee in the garden, and, sometimes, the news.
8. Drink of Choice?
Gin and Tonic with two wedges of lime.
9. What is a phrase you are known for saying?
Breathe and work with ease.
10. What advice would you give to other women in the industry?
Do not back down. Take up space. And when you’ve had a tough day, listen to Woman by Kesha :)
Want to be part of the Women in the Entertainment Industry series? Fill the form HERE.