Women in the Entertainment Industry: Elisha Griego
We are asking women in the entertainment industry around the world some key questions about their life and career. Here is Elisha Griego based in Long Beach, California, USA.
1. In which part of the industry do you work?
Live events, but lots of different aspects.
2. Have you drawn professional inspiration from other women in the entertainment industry? How have they inspired you?
Of course! As a woman who has worked in a scene shop, as an electrician, as a production manager, etc. I’ve always been aware that those aspects of live events are very much male-dominated. The women with whom I have worked who have absolutely owned their roles as experts in their fields gave me courage and inspiration to continue to pursue my dreams.
3. What would you tell young women who are just starting out? What would you like them to know?
Don’t be afraid. You are far more capable and powerful than you realize.
4. What is the best piece of career advice you have ever received?
So many! Always be 5 minutes early. Never miss a deadline. If you have to clean out the paint trap anyway, you may as well do it while singing a song.
5. Please share one of your toughest challenges in your career. How did you overcome?
Being asked to do things that created unfair and caustic working environments for my crew, on a show that was simultaneously a huge break for me, and a dream come true. I was absolutely heartsick…and I ended up leaving the show, and the industry entirely for a year. After that, I went and taught for a couple of years, which was a wonderful blessing! Sometimes the best way to overcome a situation is to remove yourself from it. In the long run, this choice has had no negative impact on my career–but it has had all the impact in the world in terms of teaching me that my feelings about right and wrong are not areas where I can compromise.
6. What is your favorite musical or play?
So hard to pick a favorite! I love musicals. Hair, Hamilton, and Jesus Christ Superstar are both way up there.
7. What is your morning routine?
My alarm goes off at either 4:30 or 5:00. I feed my kitty, make coffee, read, go for a 5.5mi walk, and then am at my computer and ready to work by 8.
8. Drink of Choice?
Lime sparkling water! If it’s an occasion for a cocktail, I’ve really been digging Gold Rush with a Royal Shake (mixed by my darling husband).
9. What is a phrase you are known for saying?
Oh my gravy!
10. What advice would you give to other women in the industry?
Don’t listen when they tell you that you can’t. You can.
Other Women in the Entertainment Industry:
Want to be part of the Women in the Entertainment Industry series? Fill the form HERE.