Who Lights Our World: Coby Chasman-Beck
We are asking lighting experts around the world, in the “Who Lights Our World” series, some key questions about their job. Here is Coby Chasman-Beck based in New York.
1. What lighting console do you prefer working with?
ETC Eos. However for me it’s really about the collaboration with the programmer and not the hardware and software.
2. What do you always have with you at your console?
Water, coffee and my research.
3. Mac or PC?
4. What may be surprising that you don’t use?
A paper script.
5. Coffee or Tea?
6. What is your favorite genre of entertainment to work in?
I enjoy new works; helping to create sometime from the ground up is always an amazing experiance.
7. What is your favorite color combination and why?
Beautiful realistic sunlight and contrasting stark moonlight. I love the realistic qualities it brings to the stage, helping to bring the audience closer into the world onstage.
8. Who is an lighting designer that you admire and respect?
Josef Svoboda. His work was not only groundbreaking in our industry, but something I find I constantly reference. He taught us that it’s okay to be in the dark sometimes; that the most important thing is to focus on the ideas that need to be communicated to the audience. Sometimes its a single elegantly sculpted gesture that is more effective.
9. What are the top 5 skill sets that a Lighting Designer/Technician should have?
1. Be a good listener 2. Have a sense of humor 3. Always be a student 4. Respect the team 5. Respond swiftly but not before you have thought about your choices
10. What is the best type of client/boss/director?
Someone who collaborates with the team without micromanaging. Someone who listens, laughs and inspires. Someone who you want to have lunch, dinner and coffee with and who you wont be sick of after months at the tech table together.
11. Do you prefer a window or aisle seat?
11. What advice do you have for those who want to become a lighting designer or a lighting technician?
Be a giant sponge! Always ask questions and take the leap if you love what you are doing and can’t imagine doing anything else.
Other Who Lights Our World:
Want to be part of Who Lights Our World Series? Fill the form HERE.