Who Lights Our World: Jen Schriever
We are asking lighting experts around the world, in the “Who Lights Our World” series, some key questions about their job. Here is Jen Schriever based in New York City USA.
1. What lighting console do you prefer working with?
2. What do you always have with you at your console?
3. Mac or PC?
4. What may be surprising that you don’t use?
All my focus hours.
5. Coffee or Tea?
6. What is your favorite genre of entertainment to work in?
New work – Plays, Musicals, Operas.
7. What is your favorite color combination and why?
Silvery Moonlight & Golden Incandescent Light – When in doubt I love when these two familiar elements play with each other. I also Love ACID Green & Magenta.
8. Who is an lighting designer that you admire and respect?
My mentor, Brian MacDevitt.
9. What are the top 5 skill sets that a Lighting Designer/Technician should have?
- Be an excellent listener
- Have an exceptional vocabulary
- Able to think and react quickly
- A sense of humor
- Impeccable Taste.
10. What is the best type of client/boss/director?
The BEST? Incredible taste, not prescriptive, Excellent communicator, Fun to be around, Does not micromanage.
11. Do you prefer a window or aisle seat?
Window all the way.
11. What advice do you have for those who want to become a lighting designer or a lighting technician?
Say ‘Yes’, Fake it till you make it (but also know when to say you don’t know), Don’t be afraid to ask questions, Connect with other professionals.
Other Who Lights Our World:
Want to be part of Who Lights Our World Series? Fill the form HERE.