Who Lights Our World: Jessica Mrovka
We are asking lighting experts around the world, in the “Who Lights Our World” series, some key questions about their job. Here is Jessica Mrovka based in Minneapolis, MN, USA.
1. What lighting console do you prefer working with?
2. What do you always have with you at your console?
A sense of humour.
3. Mac or PC?
Both; some day all of the manufacturers will agree on an OS.
4. What may be surprising that you don’t use?
ETC consoles; somehow I just haven’t used one in years.
5. Coffee or Tea?
6. What is your favorite genre of entertainment to work in?
Licensed Character Shows for kids. The little kid mosh pits are a joy to watch.
7. What is your favorite color combination and why?
Blue/Green and Dark Amber for the contrast and saturation pop, especially as a high side to cut through darker coloured backlights.
8. Who is an lighting designer that you admire and respect?
Jean Rosenthal was my original inspiration; she was so important to the early days of lighting design.
9. What are the top 5 skill sets that a Lighting Designer/Technician should have?
Time Management, Communication, Troubleshooting, Adaptability (to gear and situations), and its always important to keep those wiring skills sharp.
10. What is the best type of client/boss/director?
I always love working with people that have a clear goal of the final result. Nothing is worse than daily redesigns during tech.
11. Do you prefer a window or aisle seat?
11. What advice do you have for those who want to become a lighting designer or a lighting technician?
There is always more to learn. The industry is constantly changing and the more you are comfortable with the more people will ask you back.
Other Who Lights Our World:
Want to be part of Who Lights Our World Series? Fill the form HERE.