Opening and Closing Art Centres as We Try to Come Back from COVID
When we reopened ARC in September, we knew there was a strong possibility that we would have to close again if COVID levels rose. It was important to prepare for this, not just in practical terms but also mentally. We were determined to remain motivated as an organisation to continue our work in different ways if we did have to close.
So whilst we were sad to close our doors again this week, we did so with positivity and a sense of purpose that has demonstrated a whole new layer of resilience.
This resilience has been fed by the overwhelming feedback we have received from customers over the last two months. People who have been able to return to ARC – to take part in creative activities, watch films or live performances – have told us how important we are to them. For some, coming to ARC is the highlight of their week; for others, it’s the first place they’ve visited for six months. Other people have connected online, with our blended in-person-and-online approach to classes and events enabling people to continue watching or learning, and connecting socially.
We know people want to keep active and creative during lockdown, and to stay connected to ARC. We’re therefore pleased to offer even more of our activity online.
Alongside some of our regular classes, we’ll be live streaming our Festival of Light and Colour to celebrate Diwali this week, running our community commissioning event Pizza and Pitches via Zoom, broadcasting local legend Mike McGrother’s latest Wild Rover adventures and continuing to deliver activity as part of our More Stuff Like This Please programme for care-experienced children and young people.
Many people have asked how they can help us – so here are a few things you can do to support ARC, during this lockdown and beyond:
- Join our regular classes online or tune into our live-streamed events
- Encourage others to do so too, especially those who may need support to use technology – help them where you can, or let us know and we’ll give them a call
- Tell us what difference ARC makes to you – this is so motivating for everyone!
- Donate money to help us continue offering free and low-price activity for everyone
- Help us grow our customer base by sharing this link to join our mailing list with your friends, family and colleagues
- Book ahead for post-lockdown events (we guarantee to return your money if they are cancelled, or offer you a refund or exchange if they are rescheduled)
- Buy an ARC gift voucher – they make great Christmas presents
And when we reopen:
- Come back, or continue to join us online
- Tell people about our COVID-secure procedures and reassure them how safe it is to visit ARC
- Visit No 60, our café bar, and treat yourself to a drink and one of our lovely cakes
As always, we are committed to growing our reach and impact. Doing any or all of these things will help ensure ARC continues to thrive.
If there are ways we can help you during lockdown, please let us know.