Women in the Entertainment Industry: Alycia Stanley
We are asking women in the entertainment industry around the world some key questions about their life and career. Here is Alycia Stanley based in Coffs Harbour, Australia.
1. In which part of the industry do you work?
Operations and Logistics in events and festivals, from major sporting events to international arts and film festivals.
2. Have you drawn professional inspiration from other women in the entertainment industry? How have they inspired you?
Yes, I had the privilege of working with some amazing strong women in the early part of my career who were all older than me and had made great strides in their careers. They taught and inspired me to work hard, to aim for perfection and pride in my work but to also enjoy what I do and have fun while I do it. Also to not take crap from anyone and not give up no matter the circumstance.
3. What would you tell young women who are just starting out? What would you like them to know?
Take every opportunity that comes your way, even if its not exactly what your dream is, sometimes a path will take you a different way and you will see things from a different perspective and you never know what opportunities will lie at the end of that path. If your passionate about something and you cant get your foot in the door, then volunteer, you will learn from the experience, meet and connect with people and it looks great on your CV.
4. What is the best piece of career advice you have ever received?
To sometimes not focus on the small detail and step back and look at the bigger picture.
5. Please share one of your toughest challenges in your career. How did you overcome?
Working on a major international sporting event, I worked in a department where the multiple layers of management were not supportive at all. I worked hard to do the best I could, found camaraderie in my fellow team mates and the team I joined in my specific venue who were extremely supportive. I worked with what resources I had and made it work.
6. What is your favorite musical or play?
The Sound of Music.
7. What is your morning routine?
Shower, Breakfast (muesli during the week, avocado on toast on weekends), a cup of tea (in a travel cup on the way to work).
8. Drink of Choice?
Pimms & Lemonade.
9. What is a phrase you are known for saying?
“Yep” when listening to someone telling me something.
10. What advice would you give to other women in the industry?
Take every opportunity but also take time for your self every now and then
Other Women in the Entertainment Industry:
Want to be part of the Women in the Entertainment Industry series? Fill the form HERE.