Who Lights Our World: Tom Wright
We are asking lighting experts around the world, in the “Who Lights Our World” series, some key questions about their job. Here is Tom Wright based in London, UK and Melbourne, Australia.
1. What lighting console do you prefer working with?
2. What do you always have with you at your console?
Notepad (paper or iPad).
3. Mac or PC?
4. What may be surprising that you don’t use?
5. Coffee or Tea?
Coffe in morning, tea in afternoon.
6. What is your favorite genre of entertainment to work in?
Any event with live music.
7. What is your favorite color combination and why?
Dark blue and warm candle light amber. Always reminds me of night time walks to my favourite pubs.
8. Who is an lighting designer that you admire and respect?
Paul Pyant. Only work with him a few times when I was starting off but he was always so engaging and willing to share his knowledge. That and he never let us pay for any dinner or drinks!
9. What are the top 5 skill sets that a Lighting Designer/Technician should have?
Patience. Adaptability. Stubbornness. Detailed. Charm.
10. What is the best type of client/boss/director?
Patient. Adaptable. Stubborn. Detailed. Charming.
11. Do you prefer a window or aisle seat?
11. What advice do you have for those who want to become a lighting designer or a lighting technician?
Be nice. Listen. Treat every gig like it’s your first and last.
Other Who Lights Our World:
Want to be part of Who Lights Our World? Fill the form HERE.