Who Lights Our World: Steve Dubay
We are asking lighting experts around the world, in the “Who Lights Our World” series, some key questions about their job. Here is Steve Dubay based in Aurora, Ontario, Canada.
1. What lighting console do you prefer working with?
My Hog4 Fullboar with Hog4 Playback wing attached.
2. What do you always have with you at your console?
Coffee, black and strong.
3. Mac or PC?
Mac, but Windows machines for those things that I have to.
4. What may be surprising that you don’t use?
Mouse (I have gone full touch pad for CAD and m trackball for Hog).
5. Coffee or Tea?
6. What is your favorite genre of entertainment to work in?
Sci-fi / fantasy feature film.
7. What is your favorite color combination and why?
Congo Blue against Cyan (LEE 115 if I ever get to use gel again).
8. Who is an lighting designer that you admire and respect?
Robert “Bob” Barnhart.
9. What are the top 5 skill sets that a Lighting Designer/Technician should have?
Coolness under fire, mental focus, knowledge of the physics of light, understand human vision and perception, full respect for electricity.
10. What is the best type of client/boss/director?
One with a clear artistic vision and that trusts your vision of how to make it happen.
11. Do you prefer a window or aisle seat?
Aisle, All the way, every day.
11. What advice do you have for those who want to become a lighting designer or a lighting technician?
Study visual art, physics, literature, music and take pictures of every interesting lighting effect you encounter throughout your daily life, in nature and out in society, at all times of day and night, these will all help you later when you have to create them on stage or for the camera.
Other Who Lights Our World:
Want to be part of Who Lights Our World Series? Fill the form HERE.