Who Lights Our World: Chris Moylan
We are asking lighting experts around the world, in the “Who Lights Our World” series, some key questions about their job. Here is Chris Moylan based in Berlin, Germany.
1. What lighting console do you prefer working with?
2. What do you always have with you at your console?
Laptop and Speakers, and usually a Coffee close by!
3. Mac or PC?
4. What may be surprising that you don’t use?
5. Coffee or Tea?
6. What is your favorite genre of entertainment to work in?
Live Shows! Although streaming or television can be great, nothing beats the feeling of performing for a live audience.
7. What is your favorite color combination and why?
There is no answer for this – every situation requires a different combination!
8. Who is an lighting designer that you admire and respect?
Lots of big talents out there, but right before Corona I saw Message in a Bottle in London, with lighting by Natasha Chivers, and it blew my mind. Very impressed how Natasha captured the energy and emotion of the scenes and music with a very unorthodox lighting rig.
9. What are the top 5 skill sets that a Lighting Designer/Technician should have?
I would say:
- Technical Aptitude
- Strong send of Aesthetics
- Musical Ability
- Ability to quickly process information
- A Friendly Demeanor!
10. What is the best type of client/boss/director?
One who has a clear vision and can articulate what they are looking for, but retains an open mindset for suggestions and input from their team.
11. Do you prefer a window or aisle seat?
11. What advice do you have for those who want to become a lighting designer or a lighting technician?
I would say learn the basics of network technology, as absolutely everything is a network device these days. Other than that, keep practicing, no job should be beneath you until you are really established and have a full calendar. Many of us started by pushing cases and are thankful for all that experience to really understand what goes into a show!
Other Who Lights Our World:
Want to be part of Who Lights Our World Series? Fill the form HERE.